Support Forums

Hey there, it looks like you've been redirected from designsandcode.com - as you can see we have a new home - read more

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro Search no results or wrong number – strange resetting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Paul Delcour

I have checked all my Pods that I want to be searched, yet sometimes nothing gives any result. I cannot search the ‘normal’ pages. I have resorted to the normal WP search for pages. What gives? It’s on: http://www.sintenpietengilde.nl

I did use BW Custom Search Plugin, but have disabled this now.

Also often when on any page when selecting a subject or taxonomy, the item count seems right. But when you select it and the result page comes up, the result count is lower. Nothing else is selected, or so it seems.
    Then when doing a new select, when still on the result page, all the counts are much lower or even zero.

When clearing the results, it takes a while for the search to become available again.
    Also, a whole list of items shows up as result, but I have no idea of what selection as nothing is selected.

I have checked my settings time and time again. There is some strange behavior going on. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Trevor Moderator
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Paul Delcour
    Paul Delcour
    Trevor Moderator

OK. So, we have discovered that your form has a slider on it to select the date (year), but not all posts have years, and so they become excluded from the search when it is made. So, there could be 9 posts with a certain taxonomy term attached, which shows in the counts in the dropdown select in the form, but when you select that term and the search happens, the slider min/max becomes attached to the query and as the posts with that term do not have values for that date/year field, there are no results.

You could use the Edit Query Arguments filter to remove the date slider argument/values IF they are at the default values.

Paul Delcour

I have changed the selection for period from a custom post type to a taxonomy.
    Using 1 as a fake year and setting the range from 1-2020 does not help.
    Getting rid of this taxonomy, so no year or date at all and dis associating this taxonomy from certain posts als o does not make a difference.
    So even when posts do not have a year attached, the slider still looks for it and decides nog go when there is no year? Interesting.

I’ll keep on trying to fool the system…

Trevor Moderator

The only way to fool it is not to use a slider, but instead us a dropdown box or something like that. Such a control field has the advantage of an All Values setting at the top of the list (which is the default). THAT allows for empty fields.

Paul Delcour

Thanks for all the info.
    Pods is the cause not being able to pull post meta.
    I have find no satisfying way of being able to filter on period which is what I really want. I’ll keep trying fooling the system by giving all posts a year value like 0000 or 1000 or anything that is clearly not correct, but helps filtering.
    The frontend would not see this of course.
    THNX!

Paul Delcour

I just changed all of my ‘Year’ field from containing ‘plain text’ to ‘date’ and checked: allow field to be empty.
    As long as the slider is showing the standard values, or the min and max values, everything seems to appear, even if year has no value.
    Where I had added the field ‘Year’ I had to save all items, even when there were no values added.
    Of course all these fearless items disappear the moment I use the slider, but at least in standard values position all items are there. Tada!

Now to know why this is, because if this works, it would seem I have fooled the system.

Trevor Moderator

Yay!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Search no results or wrong number – strange resetting’ is closed to new replies.