Support Forums

Hey there, it looks like you've been redirected from designsandcode.com - as you can see we have a new home - read more

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro Search and Filter Pro with Beaver Themer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Kevin Hegan

Hi,

I’m have a couple of issues using Search and Filter Pro on an archive template created in Beaver Themer. This is used to create templates in the Beaver Builder page builder that can be assigned to particular posts. I’ve created a Custom Post Type with Custom Fields in Pods and am trying to create a kind of Library for my client’s website. The template is a grid that displays the featured image of my Custom Posts. I am trying to add the functionality to be able to search and filter these. It’s almost working without Ajax. It kind of half works with Ajax but sometimes it wouldn’t seem to reset.

OK, enough of the waffle… here’s the problem: If I type a search item in to the search box that isn’t found, then I’m directed to a blank page with the message “Sorry, no content matched your criteria”. I want it to stay in the same template, as it does if you select an item from the drop down that doesn’t exist.

My second problem is not so urgent. At the moment I can search for the name of the company and it will single out the image associated with it. I’m not sure if it’s finding it in the filename, alt text or title of the post. When I was testing with the free version, I tested on standard posts and the search would find any content with the post. This would be very useful, because you could, for example, search for the other company in the deal, the people involved, maybe the tv programs made by the company. Is it possible to search within the post when it is a custom post type?

The URL to see the work in progress is here:
    http://dev.acfib.com/deals/

Type any random word into the search box to see the first problem.
    Try typing in the name of the second company shown on the image, as it is mentioned in the text of the post.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

p.s. I’m a bit of a newbie at all this, as you may gather, so please forgive any dumb questions 😀

Trevor Moderator
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Kevin Hegan
    Trevor Moderator
    Kevin Hegan
    Trevor Moderator

Hi Kevin, hopefully that quick Skype call has given you some ideas/avenues to explore. Maybe using the Is Search and Is Archive Advanced options, maybe trying to put the results shortcode on the search archive template, and maybe using [searchandfilter id="6556" action="filter_next_query"] with whatever your form ID number is.

Kevin Hegan

I think I’m getting somewhere by displaying the results via a shortcode rather than as an archive. I’ll keep you posted. Many thanks!

Kevin Hegan

Success! Many thanks, Trevor. Although… I think I will have problems down the line as I am supposed to have a standard search on the site too, which will also be directed to the same Themer layout. Maybe there’s a way within Themer to assign it to a particular search. I’ll run that past the Beaver support guys.

Ok, I’ll explain, for the benefit of others:
    I have a search and filter pro instance on a Beaver Themer archive layout to search custom posts. Originally I had it targeted (called ‘location’ in Themer) to Post Archive pages for that particular custom post. That worked for every instance except when a search didn’t find any result. Then the message came back in a blank page and not in the Themer layout. Frustrating, because it was 99% working.
    The trick was to tick the “Force is_search to always be true?” checkbox in the advanced settings on my search form (in S&F Pro). I then found that I didn’t need to target the custom post archive but just the search results.
    This works for my situation. However, there isn’t an option to target a particular search in Beaver Themer (as far as I know… and I’ll be taking this up with the BB support). This will cause a problem down the line when I want a regular search on the site, which we have promised the client. With this setup, any search will be displayed in the Themer layout for my custom post, which will not be relevant in other situations. Hope that makes sense… difficult to explain.

My other issue was that I wanted the search to search inside the custom post which has lots of custom fields. Trevor pointed me in the direction of Relevanssi, which adds the functionality of being able to search inside custom fields. There were a couple of settings that needed configuring to get it to work properly. I had to tell it to look in the Custom Post Type I had made and I was also able to list the fields I wanted it to look in.

I’m not all that technical, so I hope that makes sense and helps someone else.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Search and Filter Pro with Beaver Themer’ is closed to new replies.