Support Forums

Hey there, it looks like you've been redirected from designsandcode.com - as you can see we have a new home - read more

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro display specific search results instead of single post

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Robert Foerster

hi,

my page is pretty specific. it contains of 1000 posts. which are music players. each music player is a post. the results of search and filter contain no link to the single post.
    therefore i guess that all my single posts wont be indexed in google right?
    (so a sidemap could help with that, or not?)

2. issue:
    imagining the fact that google is actually indexing my single posts, even when they are not linked on my main page.
    each time a visitor arrives on a single posts page, only that post is shown.
    but i want them to see that post as nr1 result amongst all the posts.
    this i could do with post redirection. but i need a link format for search and filter, which tells search and filter, that a specific post is shown first , before all the other results. is that somehow possible?

Trevor Moderator

So, on any given results page, you would have the chosen result, plus 999 other results in a grid? Would that not be just a little hard on anybody using a mobile phone? The data usage would be massive.

In theory, yes, it can work, but you would need to use one of our filters to exclude the post id of the single result page from the unfiltered results using the 'post__not_in' query argument, and you would need to have a second loop on the page to display these (such as an S&F results shortcode).

Robert Foerster

ok , when you look @ http://www.plasticat.net
    you see 2 test posts.

if you visit the unlinked (only in sitemap) single post page:
    http://plasticat.net/robbie-die-robbe-rockrobbend/
    you have only that one post. but i want the other coming after that one.
    of course not all 999 are loaded. its seperated in pages of course. amount of shown posts will be determined by some performance tests on different devices later.

sure i could link from the single.php with something like: explore all the other songs, blabla. but thats not very elegant and will lead to a lot of visitors that leave without seeing the real webpage.
    and when i use the redirect to the mainpage, the user who searched for that specific track on google, wont even be taken to that one.

as i am not a coder, and dont know how to setup that second loop on that single.php
    so its the regular single.php target result of the post + loading a second loop displaying all search and filter results.

could you help me with that code?

Robert Foerster

are the results of searchandfilter (iam using ajax + pagination) are indexed by google?
    i mean its divs with content, words.
    or are they completely ignored?

Trevor Moderator

mmm. Maybe I misunderstood. You want to do a search, be able to go to a post of the user’s choice, and have next previous posts available from the search?

Robert Foerster

no i think you understood it right in the first place, but its a bit tricky to explain.

what i want to avoid is, that the user who comes from a single song google search, is arriving on a single post page with only one post entry.
    instead i want him to see the whole catalog, unfiltered, but with the song he searched for in first position.
    so basicly the home page + the single post in first position.

what we have is the target link to that single post. so each single post page must contain the single post + the main search and filter loop after.

i would be thrilled if you could pull this of somehow!

Trevor Moderator

mmm. ok. I cannot think of a way to do this, because the form would need to work without a results page being defined. I think we do plan to add the possibility of ‘Use current page as the results Page’ but that would be the next major version (v3)

Robert Foerster

so we cannot run simply a second loop on the single.php after displaying that single result?

Trevor Moderator

You maybe able to do so via custom theme coding, but as the loop requires no filtering other than to exclude the current post, that can be done in a normal template without the need for Search&Filter. All you would need to do is add a post__not_in to the wp_query arguments where the value for that is the current post_id.

Robert Foerster

hi trevor

no its not important at all to exclude the current post. i get that this is tricky.
    i just want the same search and filter stuff shown on a single.php then on the index.php.
    but after showing the single post first.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.